Thursday, March 19, 2009

Friday



Today we visited two needy families. The first family’s story made me sick to my stomach…When we entered the house everything was dark except one room which had a full size bed in it. {Later we found out that this bed was for the whole family of 5 to sleep in.} That was just the beginning…in order to provide for her family, the mother {a widow}, works almost everyday. This leaves the oldest child {a thirteen year old girl} to take care of and cook for her three little sisters. Because she takes care of her sisters, she has only completed up to the 4th grade in school. This means that this bright young girl is not getting an education because she is left to be a caretaker of three young children all pretty much under the age of seven. This particular week the mother was gone and did not return home from Monday till Sunday afternoon. So for seven days the children were alone. This is the only option if this family is going to eat and provide for each other.

Please be praying that this family would be supported financially so that the thirteen year old girl would have the opportunity to go to school again.




The second family was an older couple…which might I add…were the cutest older couple ever. You could tell that they had been through a lot together. Their home was probably one of the worst I have seen. The smell of rotting wood and mold was overbearing. Their small house resembled what to me looked like a shack that most Americans would keep their tools, bikes, or even animals in. In order to provide for each other the lady washed cloths for people in the area and the man collected garbage in hopes of selling what he was able to find in the trash.

There were no words to describe how I felt when I saw such conditions. God has blessed me abundantly. I live in a nice house…I have all the food I need…I have a car…and a good job…How often I take these things for granted…


By Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment